The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

PAT-4 Case | Tubes4HiFi ZMOD Line Board – Blowing 3A Slo-Blow Fuses

aguaazul
    aguaazul

PAT-4 Case | Tubes4HiFi ZMOD Line Board – Blowing 3A Slo-Blow Fuses Empty PAT-4 Case | Tubes4HiFi ZMOD Line Board – Blowing 3A Slo-Blow Fuses

Post by aguaazul Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:38 pm

I had 1 semi working PAT-4, I picked up 3 more, 1 working, 1 not so much and 1 basket case, off of CL for $75. I also met a cool cat who builds tube gear, mostly 6L6 guitar & organ stuff I believe.

Anyway, prepped 1 chassis, I have a spare Tubes4HiFi v13 power supply, ZMOD line board laying around.

I grabbed the last I/O board that was available for the PAT-4, found a cool experimenters 7 pin miniature socket board, I have a 21 Step Volume control, ALPS Balance, standard selector switch in hand so I started wiring it up.

The PAT-4 has room for 4 110v outlets in the back. I am able to use 2 un-switched and 1 switched with the internal configuration.

I’ve got it put together…. Take a peek here:

Blue's PAT-4 Case Project

I decided to keep the 3A Slo-Blow fuse in the AC supply line. In testing with the garage system, it warms up quietly, plays 2/3rds of a song before the fuse blows.

Should I worry? The Tubes4HiFi v13 power supply has its own fuse.  Do I need a bigger fuse or do I just ditch the fuse all together? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Blue
    Dale Stevens

PAT-4 Case | Tubes4HiFi ZMOD Line Board – Blowing 3A Slo-Blow Fuses Empty Re: PAT-4 Case | Tubes4HiFi ZMOD Line Board – Blowing 3A Slo-Blow Fuses

Post by Dale Stevens Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:14 pm

Blue, the 3a fuse in your PAT 4 only protects the pre itself. It is past the sw-unsw outlets so I can't answ why its blowing. Tho I would not up that fuse or displace it.
    Here's what I found; The power switch will not handle lots of on-off loads via the switched outlets. I do one sw outlet that triggers a relay with 120v/20a contacts that cuts on a 8 outlet power strip. The OEM switches are getting rather hard to come by. I'm sure some of our SS folks will come forward w/ more help than I have. Just wanted to point out that load deal. Dale
    aguaazul
    aguaazul

PAT-4 Case | Tubes4HiFi ZMOD Line Board – Blowing 3A Slo-Blow Fuses Empty Re: PAT-4 Case | Tubes4HiFi ZMOD Line Board – Blowing 3A Slo-Blow Fuses

Post by aguaazul Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:22 pm

Dale, Thanks for pointing that out. I am rewiring it now. Luckily I have the other PAT's to copy the wiring. I was wiring it up like a PAS-3. Blue
    aguaazul
    aguaazul

Post by aguaazul Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:02 pm

That did the trick! Sounds great.
    Dale Stevens

Post by Dale Stevens Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:13 pm

Blue, what did the trick?? I think that's a neat build-up. Oh, and don't do away w/ PAT- parts; there's at least one of us left that can use some of that stuff. PM sent; Dale
    aguaazul
    aguaazul

Post by aguaazul Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:58 pm

Thanks Dale, I'm really happy with it, I was wiring the mains like a PAS. It does not work that way with that illuminated switch. After I copied the wiring from one of the other PAT units I have, it worked like a charm.

I’m having a blast putting this stuff together. I appreciate everyone’s help both public and private.

I have a VTA TCLA, ZMOD Phono & v14 PS build that went south on me. So, to get something to listen to, I put this together.

Not only for something to listen to, but prove to myself that I did not screw up the PAS upgrade past the ZMOD to TCLA.

Best post that issue to its own thread.

Cheers,

Blue

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:18 pm