The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

SCA-35 rebuild

evoroadster
    evoroadster

SCA-35 rebuild Empty SCA-35 rebuild

Post by evoroadster Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:41 pm

I am in the process of rebuilding an SCA-35 chassis that was stripped of the transformers, tubes,power cord and faceplate.  Should I use a 3 prong cord to have an earth ground or stick with the 2 prong cord?
    peterh
    peterh

SCA-35 rebuild Empty Re: SCA-35 rebuild

Post by peterh Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:54 am

Installing an IEC well is in my opinion the optimal solution. Using a proper grounding is a good
    route to suppress hum.
    GP49

Post by GP49 Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:23 am

Not to be argumentative but TOO MANY grounds creates ground loops which can cause hum. If you have two pieces of equipment, each with its own three-wire line cord with ground, and they are interconnected by shielded audio cables, you have created a ground loop, right there. Repeat this with the number of units in a typical hi-fi system and you will create lots of ground loops. If you have a tuner or A/V receiver or other unit with a cable TV hookup, you will add yet another level of ground looping between the AC line ground and the cable system ground.
    evoroadster
    evoroadster

Post by evoroadster Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:35 pm

Thanks for the input so far. I will go ahead with the 2-prong cord for the rebuild.
    nmchiefsfan

Post by nmchiefsfan Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:48 pm

You could install a 3 wire or IEC and if you have hum issues use a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter to eliminate the ground issue.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 11:26 am