The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

My M125 mono block build

thompson12

My M125 mono block build  Empty My M125 mono block build

Post by thompson12 Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:25 pm

Hi all here's my M125 mono block build, I didn't figure out how to post pics so here's a link where I have them posted

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/44643/mono-blocks?page=3

And then the miss hap,

I though I lost one amp Just got new driver tubes to try diferent sounds, swapped out new driver tubes not even ten minutes on them and down comes a snow globe right on top of the amp. >Very Happy . I've played louder and longer before with nothing moving on the speakers I always watched. This time I'm not paying any a tension to it and smash. It must have bin the diferent tubes with different vibrations (puke)

Broke down the amp quick for a look see, nothing appears to have gotten wet. I Vacuumed it and blew it off with air anyway.

I'll let it set till tomorrow and then take two of the power tubes out of the other amp since they only Need two to work and then make sure everything is Ok.

Five of the six tubes busted, Around $300.00 dollars in tubes gone (puke)

Just ordered new driver tubes won't be here till the end next week

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/45529/crash-worst-christmas-decorations-live

Mitch

Last edited by thompson12 on Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
    thompson12

My M125 mono block build  Empty Re: My M125 mono block build

Post by thompson12 Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:27 pm

I hope it's ok the way I posted this

Mitch
    thompson12

Post by thompson12 Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:31 pm

Ok yes it's ok Smile it lives on

I took two power tubes out of the other amp put them in and put two driver tubes in, I turned it on to checked the voltage for adjustment oh no!!! problem no voltage :Smile bummer it doesn't work.

Oops I forgot to put in the rectifier, shut it down put in the rectifier power it back up, O YES we have power Very Happy hooked up the speaker and all is good again Very Happy

Now on to continue rolling my new driver tubes YES Happy times again Very Happy
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Post by Maintarget Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:53 pm

I'm not sure I understand what exactly happen I read the description from the other link small glass pieces that shattered and went everywhere? What? "Water" got on your tubes somehow? What?
    What tubes were you using and what did you change to?
    Did you remove tube with the amp powered up?
    Please share very specifically what you did that lead to this unfortunate event with your amp.
    GP49

Post by GP49 Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:20 pm

"Snow Globes" are those decorative glass globes with liquid in them.  When you turn them over, particles inside look like snow falling.

NOT what you would want in your amplifier!

That particular snow globe must have had a bad attitude.

My M125 mono block build  9k=
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:55 pm

The VTA M-125 > "Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'" (from the old Timex commercials of long ago). I had a customer forget to turn off his pair of M-125's before he went on a week's vacation. He came back a week later and both amps were still sitting there glowing .. He Emailed me and asked if any harm was done? I told him that other than an extra 168 hours on the tubes and a slightly increased electric bill for that month, the amps would be OK ... Lets see .. each amp about 250 watts at idle = 500 watts X 168 hours = about 84 extra kilowatts on his bill ...

Bob
    thompson12

Post by thompson12 Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:37 am

Maintarget wrote:I'm not sure I understand what exactly happen I read the description from the other link small glass pieces that shattered and went everywhere? What? "Water" got on your tubes somehow? What?
    What tubes were you using and what did you change to?
    Did you remove tube with the amp powered up?
    Please share very specifically what you did that lead to this unfortunate event with your amp.

My girl Friend had a Christmas snow globe (they are a ball filled with water and fake snow) on top of the speaker. I listened numerous times with it up there with no problems.

Well I got new driver tubes to try so I put them in the amp and listing less then ten minutes when the snow globe came crashing down on top of the amp that's where the glass and water came from.

These are mono block amps so I took two of the KT120'S out of the other amp and tried it in the amp the next day after I was sure the amp was dry.

No I did not remove the tubes with the amp powered up I flipped off the power switch and unplugged the amp as I didn't want to light up like the Christmas tree

Mitch
    thompson12

Post by thompson12 Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:40 am

GP49 wrote:"Snow Globes" are those decorative glass globes with liquid in them.  When you turn them over, particles inside look like snow falling.

NOT what you would want in your amplifier!

That particular snow globe must have had a bad attitude.

My M125 mono block build  9k=

That was my attitude towards the snow globe
    Dale Stevens

Post by Dale Stevens Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:25 pm

Wow, I'm so glad to know that you don't live outside!!!

Post by Guest Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:44 am

Glad to know the M125s are so tough. I've only had a couple mishaps over the last 5 or so years - mostly due to weber rect failing - I'm using the phillips rectifiers - been running fine for the last 3 years.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:28 pm