The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

New Member Here Hi all

rwferr

New Member Here Hi all Empty New Member Here Hi all

Post by rwferr Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:58 pm

Just stumbled across this forum. Glad to see that there is a place for owners and fans of Bob Latino amps!

I have owned one of Bob's ST-70's for almost two years now. It was one assembled by Bob as I am not much of a solderer. All I can say to anybody checking them out is to get one. I have been into stereo since the late 70's. I was originally going to buy an original ST-70 and fix it up but once I saw Bob's I knew that was the way to go and I have been extremely happy I did. People say that it's an incredible sounding amp for the money but my two years with it have shown me that its an incredible sounding amp at any price. It has to be one of the best deals in all of stereo in my opinion. I have listened to some very expensive amps since I bought one but nothing has made me want to trade although I do lust for the ST-120 he is now building even though I really don't need it as I have high efficiency speakers and the ST-70 is plenty loud enough. All I can say is that when I put on a Charlie Parker record and close my eyes I could be in a club listening to him.
    JunkyJan
    JunkyJan

New Member Here Hi all Empty Re: New Member Here Hi all

Post by JunkyJan Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:28 pm

Hi Rwferr

I vaccilated for a long time between fixing up an old eBay item or buying a kit (and if I go the kit route, which one?). I finally decided to go the Bob Latino kit route, and In have been running my ST-70 for a few months now - and I have never been sorry... Especially when seeing some of the sadder offerings on "ePay".

-- JunkyJan
    rwferr

Post by rwferr Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Hey there! I have been so happy with mine. I have been tube rolling 12AT7's for about a year now in this amp and I have found that they make a huge difference in sound. I have tried:

1980s Mullards
    1960s Sylvania Black Plates 12AT7WA (B) and (C)
    1960s Knights (Mullard)
    1960s GE
    JJs

Well today I got from Germany 3 Valvo ECC81 (12AT7) NOS. These are new in the box. Have not read the date codes yet but I think 60s most likely. All I can say is wow. For a long time I had been running the Knight labeled Mullards but they had that Mullard tubey boominess. Not bad but I wanted something with a bit more clarity. The Sylvanias did have clarity and I liked them but voices sounded strange with the Sylvanias. Lately I had been running the GE and they sounded kind boomy too. Well I put these Valvos in this afternoon and so far they beat all the other ones hands down. Clarity but still that tube sound. Balanced as well.

Richard

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:31 pm