The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Vintage Dyna tube amp collection complete

WLT
    WLT

Vintage Dyna tube amp collection complete Empty Vintage Dyna tube amp collection complete

Post by WLT Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:33 am

I finally completed my collection with the addition of a pair of Dyna MK VI this last week. I now have all of the vintage Dynaco vacuum tube amplifiers in very good condition. Photos attached. All have been gone thru with most of them being rebuilt to the stock schematic. I posted photos here on the MK IIIs and MK IIs rebuild within the last year. All except the MK VIs have new capacitors in the power supply and the coupling caps. All resisters checked and replaced as needed. They all work great.

The recent MK VIs were converted by a previous owner to 6550s. I checked and the bias supply was modified to be able to adjust to obtain the -60VDC needed. I doubt I will convert back to 8417 but I will be looking into it.
    Vintage Dyna tube amp collection complete Img_1812
    Vintage Dyna tube amp collection complete Img_1811
    Vintage Dyna tube amp collection complete Img_1810
    Vintage Dyna tube amp collection complete Img_1110

Bob Latino likes this post

ttownscott
    ttownscott

Vintage Dyna tube amp collection complete Empty Re: Vintage Dyna tube amp collection complete

Post by ttownscott Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:10 pm

That is a very nice collections. So Clean!
    I think I'd like to have a pair of Mark IV amps.

I have a ST-70, Pat-5, ST-150 and then followed David Hafler to his next company and have a Hafler DH-200
    Wilhelm

Vintage Dyna tube amp collection complete Empty Re: Vintage Dyna tube amp collection complete

Post by Wilhelm Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:55 am

Very nice indeed! Especially the Mark VI's and the PAS. Great collection!
    WLT
    WLT

Post by WLT Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:27 am

Thank you. They are all amplifiers. The photo is an SCA 35 not a PAS. I do have a PAS 3X in similar condition though.

The nicest set are the MK IIIs which are as close to mint as you can get. I purchased them new and assembled them in 1974. The MK IVs and ST 70 are almost as nice. The others have a little light corrosion that has been cleaned up - not much but a little.
    Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:20 am

Oops. Well, that is a beautiful SCA then! My soft spot is the MKIII's. I am in the process of building a pair as we speak.
    WLT
    WLT

Post by WLT Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:53 am

Wilhelm - Building a pair usually means rebuilding an existing pair but you may be trying to actually start with non-stock parts and build from there. Good luck either way and enjoy.

My rebuilds of my MK IIs and the MK IIIs went well because of the one for one replacement nature of the project. Pictures of my rebuilds are listed in this photo section (search under me as author). However over the last several months I have had three failures of the four section electrolytic capacitors. I originally used the American made CE Manufacturer version rated 30/20/20/20 at 525 volts DC. I have switched to the German made Authenticap rated 550 VDC versions. No failures so far. Others in this Forum have recommended the Dynakits version. They do have a 550 VDC version for about the same price as the Authenticap. I have no experience with them.
    Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:05 pm

I am rebuilding an existing pair, but pretty much starting from the ground up as I purchased two new chassis' from Dynakitparts, and everything will be new except for the transformers.

Sorry to hear about your quad cap misfortunes, that's terrible. I would have thought better of the CE brand. However, I've read nothing but good things about both the Authenticap and Dynakitparts caps. I plan on going with the latter in the 550V option.

I will have a look at your builds in a few. Thanks.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 8:56 am