The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

ST-120. Which tap for which configuration.

bbqjoe
    bbqjoe

ST-120. Which tap for which configuration. Empty ST-120. Which tap for which configuration.

Post by bbqjoe Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:58 am

I have 3 sets of speakers.
    They sound awfully good together with each making up some of the differences lacking in the others.
    They are all 8ohms.

In one configuration, all paralleled, I get 2.3 ohms.
    In another, (series/parallel) I can get 5.3 ohms.

Any ideas which configuration would be best, and at which tap?*

Thanks gang.

*I have also tried using a 4 speaker switching box with 5 ohm protection, but it really soaks the life and volume out of the speakers when activated.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but sometimes I are.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

ST-120. Which tap for which configuration. Empty Re: ST-120. Which tap for which configuration.

Post by Peter W. Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:01 am

bbqjoe wrote:I have 3 sets of speakers.
    They sound awfully good together with each making up some of the differences lacking in the others.
    They are all 8ohms.

In one configuration, all paralleled, I get 2.3 ohms.
    In another, (series/parallel) I can get 5.3 ohms.

Any ideas which configuration would be best, and at which tap?*

Thanks gang.

*I have also tried using a 4 speaker switching box with 5 ohm protection, but it really soaks the life and volume out of the speakers when activated.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but sometimes I are.

In general, the configuration that gives you the highest nominal impedance is easiest on the amp. Tube amps are more tolerant of near-short conditions than SS amps, but still not very happy about it. And what you read with a VOM is a static resistance condition, whereas Impedance varies across the audio spectrum.

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:55 pm