The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

ST-120 - Debug / Repair Left Rear 20vdc

penguinpages
    penguinpages

ST-120 - Debug / Repair  Left Rear  20vdc Empty ST-120 - Debug / Repair Left Rear 20vdc

Post by penguinpages Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:38 pm

I have for about two - three years now been using my ST-120 build

Rectifier tuber started with Genalex U77 GZ34
    It died about eight months ago and replaced with Tung-sol 5AR4

Last week I powered on and no sound.

1) Checked bias and 0vdc on all four. So figured it was rectifier tube again.
    2) Replaced with another new 5AR4 .. still 0vdc. Does that means this new 5AR4 is bad??? Hmm.
    3) Having purchased a solid state rectifier for debug: T-SSR01 I installed that and have voltage.. and as expected.. it was hot
    a) adjusted bias back down on tubes to be range .5 for Left Front, Right Front, and Right Rear but.. odd.. Left Rear was at 20.x So way over range
    b) I fliped Right and Left tubes and Left Rear still was showing 20. I turned down bias adjustment all the way down all went down to .1 but Left Rear stayed 20.x
    4) Played low level 20db for 3 min then got a weird sound .. screeching... about 40-70DB and turn off right away.

So I don't think it is rectifier. Not main tube

Reviewed steps from build guide. But not sure debug beyond what I have done

Suggestions?

peterh
    peterh

ST-120 - Debug / Repair  Left Rear  20vdc Empty Re: ST-120 - Debug / Repair Left Rear 20vdc

Post by peterh Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:33 pm

penguinpages wrote:

I have for about two - three years now been using my ST-120 build

Rectifier tuber started with  Genalex  U77 GZ34
    It died about eight months ago and replaced with Tung-sol 5AR4

Last week I powered on and no sound.

1) Checked bias and 0vdc on all four.  So figured it was rectifier tube again.  
    2) Replaced with another new 5AR4 .. still 0vdc.  Does that means this new 5AR4 is bad??? Hmm.
    3) Having purchased a solid state rectifier for debug: T-SSR01 I installed that and have voltage.. and as expected.. it was hot
        a) adjusted bias back down on tubes to be range .5 for Left Front, Right Front, and Right Rear but..  odd.. Left Rear was  at 20.x  So way over range
        b) I fliped Right and Left tubes and  Left Rear still was showing 20.  I turned down bias adjustment all the way down all went down to .1  but  Left Rear stayed 20.x
    4) Played low level 20db for 3 min then got a weird sound .. screeching... about 40-70DB and turn off right away.

So I don't think it is rectifier.  Not main tube

Reviewed steps from build guide.  But not sure debug beyond what I have done

Suggestions?

the 10ohm resistor has blown due to a flashover in the power tube. Junk this tube and replace the resistor. It should be a film resistor preferably "flameproof" not larger then the old one.
    This also killed the rectifier tube.
    penguinpages
    penguinpages

ST-120 - Debug / Repair  Left Rear  20vdc Empty Re: ST-120 - Debug / Repair Left Rear 20vdc

Post by penguinpages Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:04 pm

Are other tubes swapped into this location also "junk"

AKA.. swaped in all four at one point in time to that spot to baseline. Smile
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:29 pm

penguinpages wrote:

Are other tubes swapped into this location also "junk"  

AKA.. swaped in all four at one point in time to that spot to baseline.  Smile
    The tube that caused the "flashover" should not be used as it has a high probability to
    do this again.
    If you can replace it with something that mates the remaining thats good. Otherwise
    it's recommended to get a new matched pair for that side.

Dave_in_Va likes this post

penguinpages
    penguinpages

Post by penguinpages Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:55 pm

Thanks for the response.

https://www.dynakitparts.com/shop/metal-film-resistors-1-w/

1watt 10ohm.

I assume this is the part I am looking for.

Is this a part / issue that happens often? Is there a root cause or thing to watch for to avoid this?

peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:28 am

penguinpages wrote:
    Thanks for the response.

https://www.dynakitparts.com/shop/metal-film-resistors-1-w/  

1watt 10ohm.

I assume this is the part I am looking for.

Is this a part / issue that happens often?   Is there a root cause or thing to watch for to avoid this?

the root cause is a power tube gone bad.

Have a few of these resistors, this will shorten down time if it happens again.
    Replacing power tubes periodically or whenever bias fails to keep stable will prevent most of these
    occurrences.

Note that the 10ohm resistor acts a fast fuse to protect output transformer and other parts. It should be small enough to "burn away" fast

Last edited by peterh on Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
    penguinpages
    penguinpages

Post by penguinpages Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:31 am

Thanks for explaining and .. your wisdom to know root cause.

ST-120 - Debug / Repair  Left Rear  20vdc Amp_da10

Without a tube tester....

1) Can I assume that any / all of the tubes inserted in that Left Rear slot with the damaged part are suspect? Or.. as you noted this is almost like a fuse, and so tubes I put in to "baseline" are ok as this is fail circuit open? Reason I am asking is that the multimeter bias voltage was 20+ (vs expected .2-.5 ) and so did I damage tubes is the question.
    2) I also assume that the upstream rectifier tube I used as a test is also fried. It was brand new, but all voltage on bias ports show 0. Vs when I use the solid state one , I see Voltage and can bias (all but Left rear which sits 20+).

It is helpful to me if I can learn a bit how to root cause and fish for self. And build out some debug path logic to test with.

1) IF no glow: check fuse.
    2) If fuse checks to have continuity: did you plug it in .. check AC. If AC.. 110-126,... oh boy.. likely transformer, are they warming up?
    3) If glow but bias voltage 0 then... likely rectifier tube. Replace and reset bias all the way down and bring up / test.
    4) If bias 20+ range, then, check resistor on that tube slot is damaged, (if not visible check with multimeter via ???) and.. consider that tube bad , ?AND rectifier is also bad?
    5) If bias does not hold steady for range +-.05 from baseline of .5, then consider that main tube bad.. Replace in pairs
    6) If all above does not work, have a beer, and post to forum for help Smile

Thanks,

peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:42 am

Personally i would start with a fresh quartet of matched KT88/6550. If one of your old gone bad risk is
    that the other may follow. New tubes are always _new_ !

ECC82 tubes (or equivalents ) are ok until they make nasty noise or hum.

Turn down bias pots to minimum, connect speakers install all tubes and power up. Start adjusting
    bias to 0.5V

Place your favorite record on the player, listen ! When record is finished check/readjust bias.

Enjoy the music.!

Dale Stevens likes this post

penguinpages
    penguinpages

Post by penguinpages Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:23 pm

I have four nice new KT88 that I was going to move to.. so that is solid

But do I trust my "new" rectifier that shows 0vdc on bias contacts.. Or.. its now FUBAR and or not worth risking.. So order new one.

Dale Stevens

Post by Dale Stevens Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:10 pm

Pen, as always, Peter is spot on. I have not had a rect tube fail since;

1- Run the amp directly from a GFCI that latches down for a commercial power fail, (even a flicker).
    2- VARIAC set at 117 vac . Dale

Njrob likes this post

penguinpages
    penguinpages

Post by penguinpages Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:00 pm

I need to validate but ...  I think there is something wrong.

The post was:

"...10ohm resistor has blown due to a flashover in the power tube...."

Picture I posted showing the blow out seemed to align with that  story.

Color bands on that resistor: Brown Black Black Brown

I ordered METAL FILM RESISTORS 1 W - 10 kOhm 1 Watt

But (as shown in below picture where I placed next to it to compare:   Its bands are:   Red Yellow Black Brown

ST-120 - Debug / Repair  Left Rear  20vdc Tranis11

I am no expert.. and most likely wrong or miss understanding but this does not match:

The post was:

But (as shown in below picture where I placed next to it to compare:   Its bands are:   Red Yellow Black Brown

https://i.servimg.com/u/f48/20/33/91/19/tranis11.png

I am no expert.. and most likely wrong or miss understanding but this does not match:

https://i.servimg.com/u/f48/20/33/91/19/damage10.png

BTW.. the reason it blew I think I also have root cause.  the ground nut it binds to was loose. So my guess this poor contact created issue.  Other posts were good so must have just not tightened it sufficiently.

Just want to make sure before I desolder and solder in new one...

BTW.. the reason it blew I think I also have root cause.  the ground nut it binds to was loose. So my guess this poor contact created issue.  Other posts were good so must have just not tightened it sufficiently.

peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:03 am

penguinpages wrote:I need to validate but ...  I think there is something wrong.

The post was:

ST-120 - Debug / Repair  Left Rear  20vdc Tranis11

The post was:

https://i.servimg.com/u/f48/20/33/91/19/tranis11.png

https://i.servimg.com/u/f48/20/33/91/19/damage10.png

Yes, you got the wrong resistors. You got 10 kohm ( 10.000 ohm) but should have 10 ohm ( 10 )

Loose grounding screws are bad. Make sure all of them are tighted.

penguinpages
    penguinpages

Post by penguinpages Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:01 pm

Back at this post.

I did not realize the unit I built for Tube Amp was / is a http://www.tubes4hifi.com/ ST-120

The site offers full kits but not parts such as to order replacement transisotrs.

I went out and googled around for "Hifi audio transistor brands" and came across notes about "UXCell" being used for many tube amps... which is funny because those were the ones I first ordered and returned due to "size difference" in concern about quality..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PPTS1BG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

ST-120 - Debug / Repair  Left Rear  20vdc 1w10_o10

As you can see its significantly smaller in wire guage and size. Does size matter .. some say it does.. Smile

But would you resolder all four so they are consistent, or, is this truly a commodity item and not in signal path of significance.

Again... thanks for the input.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:03 pm