The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

What to do?

settador

What to do? Empty What to do?

Post by settador Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:08 am

Good morning!

Newbie here. I've had a pair of Dyna ST-70s since the late 1970s. I used them in stock form, set to mono and cross-wired, to drive a pair of AR 4-Xs for many years. I fed them with a PAS-II or III, I don't remember for sure. In 1991, Kevin Kennedy (KTA Audio) modified them to bi-amplify a pair of Audio Concepts, Inc. Sub-1s and Little Vs. After 32 years, including 6 years of dormancy, the system needs work and I've moved on.

I've isolated the various problems with my system, however. One of my ST-70s I was using to bi-amplify the ACIs has issues. It won't bias up and it hums, Tube swaps don't help, so I suspect it needs to be recapped. I rigged the other two amps (one of which uses one channel in triode mode for the LV and the other channel in ultra-linear for the Sub-1, and the third amp, which is set up in stereo triode mode to drive another set of satellite speakers), to test all four speakers. I've determined the drivers are done after 32 years, including 6 years of dormancy--when I press on them with my fingers, they feel stiff and make a crunchy sound.

Fortunately, my hand-made, tube preamp (also KTA) is still a gem, and It now feeds a used but new-to-me Mac MC152, which drives a pair of Revel M106s. I think I'm happy with the new gear, and the 33-year-old REGA II with the 19-year-old Semiko Blue Point Special EVO III is still remarkable! Vinyl really is the best!

So, my question for the brain trust is this: What do I do with 3 heavily modified ST-70s (the front end boards are designed and made by Kevin and utilize one 12ax7 and two 12Au7s), two Little Vs, and a pair of Sub-1s with crossovers modified for bi-amplification?

Thanks, Folks!
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

What to do? Empty Re: What to do?

Post by Dave_in_Va Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:07 am

Heavily modified 60 year old amps that don't work?
    I'd give them away to a DIY person that wants to use the parts to build something else.
    Sounds like they're done.

Dale Stevens likes this post

settador

Post by settador Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:51 am

Dave_in_Va wrote:Heavily modified 60 year old amps that don't work?
    I'd give them away to a DIY person that wants to use the parts to build something else.
    Sounds like they're done.

I've used the triode, stereo amp to drive new, Revel M106s and it sounds quite good. One of the ultra-linear/triode mono amps also works fine.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:52 am

settador wrote:Good morning!

Newbie here. I've had a pair of Dyna ST-70s since the late 1970s. I used them in stock form, set to mono and cross-wired, to drive a pair of AR 4-Xs for many years. I fed them with a PAS-II or III, I don't remember for sure. In 1991, Kevin Kennedy (KTA Audio) modified them to bi-amplify a pair of Audio Concepts, Inc. Sub-1s and Little Vs. After 32 years, including 6 years of dormancy, the system needs work and I've moved on.

I've isolated the various problems with my system, however. One of my ST-70s I was using to bi-amplify the ACIs has issues. It won't bias up and it hums, Tube swaps don't help, so I suspect it needs to be recapped. I rigged the other two amps (one of which uses one channel in triode mode for the LV and the other channel in ultra-linear for the Sub-1, and the third amp, which is set up in stereo triode mode to drive another set of satellite speakers), to test all four speakers. I've determined the drivers are done after 32 years, including 6 years of dormancy--when I press on them with my fingers, they feel stiff and make a crunchy sound.

Fortunately, my hand-made, tube preamp (also KTA) is still a gem, and It now feeds a used but new-to-me Mac MC152, which drives a pair of Revel M106s. I think I'm happy with the new gear, and the 33-year-old REGA II with the 19-year-old Semiko Blue Point Special EVO III is still remarkable! Vinyl really is the best!

So, my question for the brain trust is this: What do I do with 3 heavily modified ST-70s (the front end boards are designed and made by Kevin and utilize one 12ax7 and two 12Au7s), two Little Vs, and a pair of Sub-1s with crossovers modified for bi-amplification?

Thanks, Folks!

My advice : rebuild them according to the dynaco manual. All parts are available ( you need the board, and as 7199 is unavail get the board for 6U8 / 6an8 / ecf80.

When they are original they are sellable for a higher value.

settador

Post by settador Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:17 pm

Thanks, peterh. I do understand that, but at this stage of my life time is more valuable than $. I will be happy with whatever the market dictates. The speaker cabinets are in good shape, and someone who wants to replace the drivers and repair the bad amp good have some good sound for little money, comparatively speaking.
    WLT
    WLT

Post by WLT Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:57 pm

PeterH response is always spot on. However I understand your issue as well. Under the first sticky post above you can list all of your stuff for sale. Let the next owner restore them properly.

settador likes this post

settador

Post by settador Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:32 pm

WLT wrote:PeterH response is always spot on. However I understand your issue as well. Under the first sticky post above you can list all of your stuff for sale. Let the next owner restore them properly.

What do you all think these amps are worth? What are my chances of finding someone to take the 3 of them and the speakers too? All guesses welcome!
    WLT
    WLT

Post by WLT Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:37 pm

I sent you a PM. Pictures would help on condition of the amps. Inside and out. Do they have the covers and are the original circuit boards included? The more info we get the more we can give a better estimate.

settador likes this post

settador

Post by settador Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:12 am

Yes, they have the covers. No, I do not have the original parts, nor do I have the 1299s. As I get closer to listing them, I'll take good photos.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:15 pm