The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Bad Power Tube?

bigmm79

Bad Power Tube? Empty Bad Power Tube?

Post by bigmm79 Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:09 pm

Checked the bias on my tubes tonight and one was unusually high - .70. These are Gold Lion KT66s and I keep them biased at .45. Turn bias pot all the way down and it won't go any lower than .65. I know its this power tube because the problem moves with it. I guess the tube has gone bad somehow, despite probably less than 100 hours of use. What does this symptom say about the tube? What's likely wrong with it?
    Big disappointment - expensive tube.
    kevco
    kevco

Bad Power Tube? Empty Re: Bad Power Tube?

Post by kevco Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:41 am

It's running away...Often buying power tubes that have been burned in by the seller and then matched again will lower the incidence of this occurring, but it will still happen to the best of us. An XF2 Mullard bought in 1961 for a dollar could do this and so can a reissue KT66 bought for 40 dollars in 2010. Any seller worth a web page designer should warranty the tube for 30 days. Send it back, it IS an expensive tube!
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:01 pm

A good point here by Kevco ... Always keep the dated receipt for any tube purchase. Every now and then, for no good reason, even a NEW tube does go bad ? All GOOD tube vendors will give a 90 warranty on new tube purchases. Just Email the vendor and explain the situation to him. You will always have to send the tube back to the vendor at your expense. The vendor will then send you a replacement at his expense.

Bob
    bigmm79

Post by bigmm79 Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:01 pm

Fortunately I did buy this from a good vendor that does have a 90 day warranty and has sent me a replacement. In fact, they shipped the replacement right out without waiting for the bad tube to arrive back from me. It is indeed worth a few extra bucks to buy from a good dealer that is communicative and offers a solid warranty.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:14 pm